2018 Spring Fling 5K finish line malfunction

Your one stop shop for all discussion of running, the Arkansas Grand Prix Series and the Arkansas RRCA.
dmeroney
Site Admin

2018 Spring Fling 5K finish line malfunction

Post by dmeroney »

Announcement concerning Spring Fling 5K times:

There was an equipment malfunction with the finish line timing system. Apparently, none of the finish times were recorded for any runner. The system was tested before the race and it worked fine but did not during the race. The race timer will be testing and sending the equipment in for repairs.

Fortunately, the Spring Fling 5K made use of an announcement mat about 50 meters in front of the finish line. That data was recorded and it will be used to establish finish order and finish time.

There is video from the GoPro at the finish line. But without bib numbers, it will be time consuming and difficult to try to create a results table using that video.

Important: any runner who thinks they passed someone in that last stretch between the announcement mat and the finish line should contact staterep@arkrrca.com. I'll make an assessment, compare to finish line photography and video, and will make adjustments as necessary.

Obviously, the times will not be correct for any runner. But for the Grand Prix, only finish place is important. I will begin the preliminary scoring work today and will finish it on Sunday just in case the correct data can somehow be produced.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. In my line of work, I always say that computers are machines and all machines break -- it's just a matter of when. In this case, the finish line timing system is a machine and it's day to break was today. Fortunately, there is a backup with close to accurate data.

No one gets to brag about their PR at the 2018 Spring Fling 5K!
David Meroney

#arkgrandprix
#arkrun
501 - 291 - 5642